The kitchen is one of the most used rooms in any home, so it’s important to make sure that it is well-stocked and comfortable for cooking. One of the key components to any kitchen is a fridge, and many newer models require a water line be installed in order to function properly. Here are some easy steps on how to install a water line to your fridge from your sink.
- Locate the water shut-off valve under the sink and turn it clockwise to shut off the water
- Place a bucket underneath the sink to catch any water that may drip out when disconnecting the lines
- Use an adjustable wrench to loosen the nut on the cold water supply line and remove it from the faucet
- Cut a section of ¼ inch copper tubing long enough to reach from the cut end of the cold water line to your refrigerator’s ice maker inlet connection
- Slide one end of a compression sleeve over each end of the copper tubing
- Screw a ferrule onto each end of tubing, then screw those into each side of a 90 degree elbow fitting, making sure everything is hand-tightened only as tight as it can go without using tools
Fridge Water Line Across Room
If your fridge is on the other side of the room from your water source, you may be wondering how to get a water line to it. It’s actually not as difficult as you might think. Here are some tips for running a fridge water line across a room:
1. Start by measuring the distance between your water source and your fridge. This will give you an idea of how much tubing you’ll need. 2. If possible, run the tubing underneath any furniture or appliances that are in between the two points.
This will help keep the tubing hidden and out of the way. 3. Use plastic tubing rather than metal, as it’s less likely to leak and is easier to work with. 4. Connect one end of the tubing to your water source using a coupling fitting.
Then, attach the other end of the tubing to your fridge’s water inlet valve using another coupling fitting. 5. Once everything is connected, turn on your water source and check for leaks at all of the fittings. If there are any leaks, tighten the fittings until they stop.
That’s all there is to it! Running a water line to your fridge doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming.
How Do You Run a Water Line from a Kitchen Sink to a Refrigerator?
Assuming you would like tips on how to connect a water line from the kitchen sink to the refrigerator:
1. Turn off the main water valve to your home. This is usually located in the basement near where the water enters your home.
Once you have shut off the main valve, open up both the faucet at your kitchen sink and the one at your refrigerator (this will help release any pressure that might be left in the lines). 2. Locate an unused cold-water pipe coming out of the wall near your sink. You will likely need to use a drill to make a hole in order for your new water line to fit through.
3. Use a hacksaw or pipe cutter to cut a small section out of this pipe so that you can insert a tee fitting (this will allow you to create a branch line off of the existing pipe). 4. Wrap some plumber’s tape around all of the threads on your tee fitting, then screw it into place on the cold-water pipe (hand-tighten only – do not over tighten as this could cause damage).5. Cut another length of tubing based on measurements taken from under your sink, up through whatever route you plan on taking it (likely along baseboards or inside cabinets) and over to where your refrigerator is located.
6. Attach one end of this new length of tubing onto another tee fitting, then wrap some more plumber’s tape around all threads and hand-tighten into place.7. Take care running this new tubing through any holes drilled earlier – be careful not to kink or crimp it as this could restrict water flow later on down the line once everything is hooked up and turned back on again..8
At last, reach under your sink and attach one final length of tubing onto third side opening of final tee fitting before connecting other end onto quick-tease coupling (or similar connector made specifically for attaching flexible copper tubing).9 Finally, turn main water valve back ON slowly before going back and checking all connections for leaks at each point where two pieces of tubing/fittings are joined together using slip joint nuts & washers (or solder joints, if applicable). Add additional plumber’s tape or snug fittings slightly as needed until no leaks are present.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Water Line for a Refrigerator?
It costs an average of $500 to install a water line for a refrigerator. This includes the cost of the materials and labor. If you need to have your refrigerator moved in order to install the water line, this will add to the cost.
How Do You Hook Up an Existing Refrigerator Water Line?
Assuming you have a water line already installed to your refrigerator:
1. Locate the cold water source closest to the refrigerator. This is typically under the kitchen sink, but may be elsewhere in your home.
2. Cut the cold water line using a pipe cutter. Be sure to measure twice and cut once! 3. Attach one end of the copper tubing to the cut water line using a copper coupling or a plastic coupling with two stainless steel clamps.
4. Connect the other end of the tubing to the quick-tee adapter on the back of the refrigerator. If your refrigerator does not have a quick-tee adapter, you will need to install one (follow instructions that come with adapter). Then connect tubing to adapter.
How Do I Hook Up the Water Line to My Frigidaire Refrigerator?
If you’re wondering how to hook up the water line to your Frigidaire refrigerator, we have the answer. It’s actually a pretty easy process, but there are a few things you need to know before you get started. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Locate the water shut off valve behind your fridge. This is usually located near the floor or behind the kick plate. 2. Turn off the water at the shut off valve by turning it clockwise until it stops.
3. Use a drill or screwdriver to remove the screws from the back of your fridge that hold on the water line access panel. Remove this panel so you can access the water line connection point. 4. Take one end of your new Frigidaire refrigerator water line and insert it into the quick connect fitting on the back of your fridge (this will be labeled “water”).
Hand-tighten this connection until it’s snug – don’t over-tighten! 5. Open up your fridge door and locate where your ice maker/water dispenser is inside (it will have a small plastic tube running to it). Insert one end of your new water line into this opening (again, hand-tighten only).
You may need to use a pair of needle nose pliers to help guide/push the tubing through this opening if it’s tight. Just be careful not to damage/kink the tubing in any way as you’re doing this!
How to connect a Refrigerator to a sink water line (DIY)
Assuming you don’t already have a water line running to your fridge, you’ll first need to install one. Doing so is actually fairly easy and only requires a few tools that you likely already have in your home. Once you have the necessary tools, follow these steps to get your new water line installed:
1. Use a drill to create a hole in the sink cabinet where the water line will run through. Be sure to wear eye protection while doing this. 2. Run the water line through the hole you just created and then attach it to the cold water supply valve under your sink using a nut and ferrule.
Again, be sure everything is tight so there are no leaks. 3. Next, turn on the valve slowly until water begins flowing out of the other end of the line (into your fridge). At this point, check all connections for leaks before continuing on.
4. If there are no leaks, use some pipe insulation around exposed pipes and then close up the cabinet door. That’s it! You’ve now successfully installed a new water line to your fridge!